Thursday, January 27, 2011

Overcoming Challenges


"But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.'" Matthew 19:14

I love this verse and it has taken on new meaning for me this week as I was placed in a different environment in which to serve. As part of Students International, we have such a special ministry site called, "Centro Especial Genesis." It is one of about 3 special education schools on the island and it provides education and therapy to about 30 special needs children from pre-school on up to high school. Over the last couple months I have been praying for God to use me and show me where He would like me to serve, and over the last 2 weeks an opportunity has come up to serve at Genesis. It is so interesting, because I pray and pray and wait for the Lord, and then He reveals His plan, and I say, "No Way! I am not equipped to do that!" And it is in those quiet moments of panic when I hear His calm voice saying, "Yes, Lindsay, I know you aren't, but I AM." So, I am still learning to let go and let God have His way with my life and my time, and when I do obey His calling, I am greatly blessed.
I am able to work alongside an incredible woman who has a passion for these children and is passionate about the Lord. It is such a gift to work alongside those in ministry who love what they do and pass it along to others. I follow her around with my clipboard and take down all sorts of notes about things that need fixing, or projects to be completed, or just share a smile or word of encouragement to her throughout the day. I know that I am getting much more out of serving there then they are getting of me! But, that is God's way, continuing to bless us when despite the challenges, we follow His voice and trust in His sovereignty and strength. Each child there is a gift unto the Lord and the smiles, laughter and singing that goes on throughout the day is more meaningful to me than any other song sung by the greatest of choirs.


In His Mighty Name,
Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. Love and miss you guys! So glad to be able to see how things are going. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. God bless you guys.

    Mike, Katie, Luke and Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, I know this is an older post, but i love looking at Genesis pics to see the children and the special events they have enjoyed! We're so thankful God has provided a way for us to stay a second trimester at Instituto de Lengua EspaƱola but we are "homesick" for the children somehow already. We've found your blog especially insightful into ministry life in Jarabacoa. Thank you and with love, Karen Unternahrer

    ReplyDelete